Why Chickens?

My photo
NH, United States
Last year, I bought a chicken coop that was made by someone that I love dearly and decided to raise some chickens. Well... we'll see how this quest develops as Spring fades into Summer and the chicks arrive in early June! Check out my YouTube channel www.youtube.com/fbideas for the most recent videos I've posted!

Monday, April 4, 2011

Easter Egger - I've GOT to have Pastel Eggs!

Isn't she cute?
They are friendly, great layers of large blue and green eggs, and (rarely) while, creamy brown or even pinkish eggs.

Their smaller body size makes them good in the heat, and their small pea comb means they do well in cold, too, because they're not susceptible to frostbite.  "Easter Eggers" are hybrids that carry the blue-egg gene of the true Araucana breed.

Because this is a hybrid variety, supposedly even if you have a whole flock of them, you can often tell them apart because they come in so many different colors.

There is no knowing what color egg my hen will give, although the egg color will not change from one egg being laid to another.  Each hen will give ONE egg color. So, if she lays a green egg, then I can't expect the next one to be pink or blue!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments in the Egg Basket