Why Chickens?

My photo
NH, United States
Last year, I bought a chicken coop that was made by someone that I love dearly and decided to raise some chickens. Well... we'll see how this quest develops as Spring fades into Summer and the chicks arrive in early June! Check out my YouTube channel www.youtube.com/fbideas for the most recent videos I've posted!

Monday, July 4, 2011

June 16th - Setting up the Water and Food

Before I left for the Post Office, I turned on the heat lamp in the brooder so it could come up to 95 degrees for the new chicks.  After checking for "pasty butt" a disease the chicks can actually die from, I put them into the brooder one by one and dipped their beaks into the water.  For the first 24 hours, I also added "Save-a-chick" which is a combination vitamins and minerals for new chicks and poultry under stress.  I guess being born and then bumping your way all around the country in mail trucks and planes could be considered stressful don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments in the Egg Basket