Why Chickens?

My photo
NH, United States
Last year, I bought a chicken coop that was made by someone that I love dearly and decided to raise some chickens. Well... we'll see how this quest develops as Spring fades into Summer and the chicks arrive in early June! Check out my YouTube channel www.youtube.com/fbideas for the most recent videos I've posted!

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Free Ranging is a GOOD thing!

Henrietta and Gertrude have been "free ranging" the yard for a few weeks now.  They LOVE being out in the yard hunting and pecking for worms, bugs and grazing on any variety of green grass and plant they want to try.

I normally wait to let them out of the coop until they have both layed their egg for the day so that I don't have to worry about eggs in the bushes attracting skunks or raccoons that would LOVE to have fresh eggs just as much as I do! These photos were actually taken by my friend Dee the day the chicks arrived a few weeks ago.

Henrietta is the lighter of the two hens because she has more white feathering under the red and she "rules the roost" even though there are only two of them together right now.  Her comb is also straight and Gertie's lists a little to the left.

I have to laugh when she "body checks" poor Gertrude when they get treats.  Oddly, they aren't using the roosts in the coop right now.  They still tend to snuggle together on the floor of the coop in the corner nearest the door and ramp into the run.  The only time they go up onto the roost is when they hear me coming down the driveway to feed them in the AM and to open the door so they can come into the run.  They climb up so they can see me through the window.

Their favorite treat is when I give them "mealy worms"!  I have them in an old peanut butter jar and it doesn't matter where they are in the yard....when they hear that "shaking sound' they come a running.  My Granddaughter's aren't too sure about picking up these dehydrated worms, but the girls sure like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments in the Egg Basket