Why Chickens?

My photo
NH, United States
Last year, I bought a chicken coop that was made by someone that I love dearly and decided to raise some chickens. Well... we'll see how this quest develops as Spring fades into Summer and the chicks arrive in early June! Check out my YouTube channel www.youtube.com/fbideas for the most recent videos I've posted!

Monday, July 4, 2011

June 16th - Many Visitors, Adoptions and Names!

My friend, Dee, was the first visitor to see and photograph the chicks.  Dee took numerous photos of the new chicks and also Henrietta and Gertrude that are AWESOME and somehow my computer has "eaten" the files!  Will get those posted as soon as I get copies again.  They are so wonderful.  Dee paints in oils and her works can be seen at www.deelessard.com. Who knows... maybe I'll get the chicks first day captured in oils?

The next visitors were two of my Granddaughters, Kyleigh and Sierra with their Mom, Elizabeth.  They chose two of the chicks that they fell in love with, and I think they're going to be the two Columbian Wyandotte's.
These videos are so cute!  Sierra's chick settled right in quietly with her and she is now named "Oreo".  When they finally feather out, their heads and back ends should be black and the middle will be white.  Just like the cookie :)

Kyleigh's chick is a little bolder, no actually she's A LOT bolder!  Climbing and snuggling.  She kept heading for Kyleigh's hair and wanted to hide.  I love Ky's expression when she realized which end of her chick she was petting!

Notice the colored dots on the chicks heads?  That's to help Nammie tell which chick is who's!  They're all so similar right now, especially the yellow ones that I need help telling them apart.


After they left, two more of my Granddaughter's came, Eleora and Abegayle,with their Mom, Jodie.

Abegayle chose one that is going to become a Gold Laced Wyandotte.  Her name is MiMi, which is what the girls call me.  I'm not sure which one is more afraid of the other, MiMi or Abegayle!


Eleora chose one that we keep saying "looks like a duck" with the markings!  She is hoping that "Silver" will become a Silver Laced Wyandotte.  I only have one of those and these two will become very similar yet so different.  Jodie renamed the Blue Cochin chick that I had fondly been calling "Fuzzy Butt" to "Luna".  I have to admit, it's a more dignified name than the one I gave to her :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments in the Egg Basket