Why Chickens?

My photo
NH, United States
Last year, I bought a chicken coop that was made by someone that I love dearly and decided to raise some chickens. Well... we'll see how this quest develops as Spring fades into Summer and the chicks arrive in early June! Check out my YouTube channel www.youtube.com/fbideas for the most recent videos I've posted!

Friday, March 25, 2011

Trip to Hooksett Tractor Supply store

Chicks at Tractor Supply Store in Hooksett
Spring is here and although at the Agway or Blue Seal stores you can only "order" your chicks right now... Tractor Supply has them in stock and chirping already! 

They had 3 big tubs of different varieties of chicks (none of the ones I've already got on order), and in NH you have to buy a minimum of 12 chicks at a time from the store.  They are just too cute!  Fast little guys too!  I got permission to "pick one up" from the store manager, I just couldn't CATCH one!  Note to self.... have a plan when I want to pick up one of mine later this year :)  I finally cornered a little yellow girl and picked her up.  She was so-o-o-o soft!  My Granddaughters are going to love them!

Coop needs fixing!
I visited the Tractor Supply stores in Milford and Merrimack yesterday, so I knew Hooksett would have chicks too.  I was tempted to get these chicks instead of the ones I already have on order, however one MAJOR problem... the chicken coop is still on wheels :)  It's probably a good thing that I have another 60+ days before they arrive!  We still have snow, the roof needs shingling and repainting.  I have to decide exactly "where" I'm going to put it permanently.  Once that's done, I can figure how big a "run" we'll be building and which direction to place the slanted roof.  It's looking like the best place would be to face it South, which would put the entry door towards the street and one of the doors to the run towards the house and away from the wooded areas. 

Am I overthinking this?  I'm sure my husband would think so, he just shakes his head every time I open a chicken book or magazine :)  I'm so glad he loves me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments in the Egg Basket