Why Chickens?

My photo
NH, United States
Last year, I bought a chicken coop that was made by someone that I love dearly and decided to raise some chickens. Well... we'll see how this quest develops as Spring fades into Summer and the chicks arrive in early June! Check out my YouTube channel www.youtube.com/fbideas for the most recent videos I've posted!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Buff Orpington Chickens - I'll take 2 please!

Buff Orpington Chickens
Orpington's are known for being docile, feathery, cuddly.  Happy foraging or in confinement, pretty hardy, reasonable broodies and good mothers.  I'll have to be careful that they don't get bullyed from the other breeds.  The do not often fly due to their size and can be allowed to free range.  They are cuddly, docile and extremely child friendly.

I think they are beautiful.  They are supposed to have wonderfully soft feathers and I like it that they won't necessarily want to "fly the coop".  I want to make sure that when they first arrive, I hold and cuddle my little chicks so when my Grandchildren come to visit, they will be comfortable with being held by little hands.  Orpington's have small combs on their heads so that they won't get frostbitten too easily and they lay about 200 eggs per year.  I've ordered two of this breed because I think they'll be a favorite with the girls!  I just hope they aren't twins so that I can tell them apart!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments in the Egg Basket