Why Chickens?

My photo
NH, United States
Last year, I bought a chicken coop that was made by someone that I love dearly and decided to raise some chickens. Well... we'll see how this quest develops as Spring fades into Summer and the chicks arrive in early June! Check out my YouTube channel www.youtube.com/fbideas for the most recent videos I've posted!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Another Day - Another Choice of Chick

Blue Cochin 
50/50 chance of being Blue at birth - and feathery legs!
 
OMG I only ordered ONE of these!  Now that I've seen better photos of the chicks and the adult chickens, I can't believe I only ordered one!  Well, maybe I do believe it... Since the total number of chicks I'm getting is 15, I thought that was pushing the limit with my husband. 

According to http://www.mypetchicken.com/ Cochins are known the world over for being big friendly balls of fluff and feathers.  They don't lay very well but are popular because of their sweet personality and fantastic mothering qualities.  Cochins became famous in the 1800's when this Chinese breed was given as a gift to Queen Victoria of England, who absolutely adored them.
Look at her FEET!!

Aha! The color blue does not hatch true in chickens.  Blue is a diluting gene for black.  So, 50% of the blue cochins will hatch blue, and 25% will be black.  The last 25% will be "splash" having received two diluting genes.  Splash is a very light color, pale blue or white with "splashes" of black and darker blue in feathers, especially in the wings and tail.

I just noticed her leg feathers!  Guess I'll be able to tell the difference between this one and the Buff Orpington's easily.

Maybe I'll call her Vicki?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments in the Egg Basket