Why Chickens?

My photo
NH, United States
Last year, I bought a chicken coop that was made by someone that I love dearly and decided to raise some chickens. Well... we'll see how this quest develops as Spring fades into Summer and the chicks arrive in early June! Check out my YouTube channel www.youtube.com/fbideas for the most recent videos I've posted!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Bantams or Standards - Which size?

OK, so now you're starting to see a pattern... So many choices, too many chicks so I chose either one or two of each breed that I really liked.  Actually, there were many, many more that I fell in love with too, but once I started ordering I decided not to get any of the bantams because they are smaller than the standard breeds.  I decided to pay attention to the natural "pecking order" of chickens and not get any that might start out with a size disadvantage.

Much to my dismay, that eliminated some of the really FUN chickens that I saw at the Deerfield Fair like polish and silkies.  They're smaller and apparently not as cold hearty so that was that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments in the Egg Basket